Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Civics for the win

Today we started teaching civics at home to my girls. While I'm only officially homeschooling Prin but since Duchess is always looking over my shoulder I'll just teach her too. I've outlined my goals for this class. We are covering a full semester worth of civics and government... I'm not gonna lie, I'mm excited. This is a favorite subject of mine.

So to start it off, we are reviewing what it means to be a citizen. Did you know there is an official citizen almanac? Yeah, google that. It exists and frankly most people have no clue what it means. I'm starting with a series from the 80's, that's right.... Schoolhouse Rocks.

After reading the entire constitution, we start tomorrow by breaking down the steps that brought the Constitution to life. Wish us luck. I'm most excited about a series I just bought.... a six hour mini series on America. Yes!