Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Softball is upon us

Good lord but it feels nice to sit my fat ass in a camping chair and kick back to some softball. True it's 32 degrees outside. True that it's windy as hell. True that my kid didn't make varsity but true I'm proud that she made JV. True that I'm so ready to leave this little town and their little town ways.

In some ways, this little town reminds me of my hometown. Doesn't matter about your character, doesn't matter about your job or what you accomplish on your own, it's all about how you are, what family you are connected to and lastly, where in town you live. Seriously. We've been here two years now and we've found a niche. We are friendly with several families in town and our kids are friends and slowly both Princess and Duchess have carved out a place for themselves, even if they are super ready to move on. We still run up against the town wall though, the travel team here this past summer was put to the test with the high school team. They are outfielders or subbing bases for girls that are no where near their skill level. I seriously sat through the varisty game bitting my tongue. Myself and several other travel parents, it was terrible and almost laughable. They lost like 27-2. Ouch.

So there I am, keeping my mouth completely shut. Are you shocked because I am still am. These people don't make noise. They don't cheer unless it's their child. They don't interact with each other. They just chill. So there I was chilling. Until it was my kid, then I tried to be somewhat quiet, BULLSHIT, I was her cheering section.

She played third. She's never played third. She did great. She hit great. She then shifted to center field after people kept boggling the balls out there. So yesterday, she played all center field, chasing balls that the infield kept missing. She fouled every damn hit but walked bases. So it was a good two days.

It was fun. I'm getting the hang of how Montana does softball.

But the thing is, Prin is still doing her thing. She's just happy to be playing. She works hard and doesn't complain too loud when people who never practice, get more playing time. She's learning. She's trying to take the high road.

She's a better person that me.

That shit ain't right.